I have been a plant-based eater now for almost 4 years and I was vegetarian for 1 year before that, and there are still some dishes from my ‘former life’ that I miss the idea of! It is not so much the ingredients that I miss but more the sense of comfort and decadent indulgence they gave you when eating them!
A good burger is one of those things that I miss the idea of, and I have been meaning to try a recipe for simply ages.
Vital Protein is extracted from golden peas using a patented enzyme process that isolates out an incredible 88% protein content. As an isolate it contains three times the protein of ordinary pea powder and is an ideal source of protein and amino acids.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 x can chickpeas (400 gram) drained
- ¼ cup Vital Protein
- 1 onion peeled and finely diced
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoky BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of Beetroot Juice – or use liquid from a can of beetroot
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line baking try with baking paper
- Blend walnuts food processor until a fine crumb – place in mixing bowl and add finely diced onions
- Place drained chickpeas in food process until coarsely chopped – add to mixing bowl
- Add all other ingredients and stir with a fork until well combined.
- Press into burger patty size
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes, turning over when halfway through
- Serve when warm on favourite bread with usual burger condiments such as salad greens, sliced tomato, sliced beetroot, avocado etc
Courtesy of Lara Flanagan.
Lara is the author of My Notes from New England, a blog that takes a humorous look at the adventures of a single mum with two young twins who enjoys cooking, eating well, living in the country and travelling the world looking to inspire and be inspired.