Sometimes when Bec gives me an ingredient I think two things: “Good Lord, I have never heard of this?” and, “this should be fun!” When she gave me the Golden Latte mix I was a little scared!
But I thought it was a good chance to explore the magical world of turmeric which has been on my list of things to do!
Yields 16 squares
I made a hot cup of this with warmed almond milk and I thought the flavours would lend themselves beautifully to a slice. I added the walnut crumb for texture and sweetness. This slice not only looked so pretty, but it also tasted divine! Super easy too!
20 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons almond milk
- 1 cup raw cashews – soaked for at least four hours, overnight is ideal
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup
- ½ cup almond milk
- 3 teaspoons of golden latte mix
- ½ cup water
- ¾ teaspoon agar agar powder
- 1 ½ cup walnuts
- 10 pitted dried dates
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Prepare a tart tray by lining the base with baking paper. I used a rectangular loose-bottomed tray that was 35cm x 12cm
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees Celsius
- Combine the flour, sugar, olive oil and almond milk in a processor until mixture comes together as a crumbly dough.
- Press into the tart tray and evenly distribute
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- After removing from oven, I covered with a clean tea-towel and pressed with my hands while warm to ensure that the base with firmly compacted.
- Drain the soaked cashews and place in blender with maple syrup, almond milk and golden latte mix
- Blend until completely smooth and no hint of granulation from the cashew nuts
- In a saucepan, combine water and agar agar powder, whisk and bring to the boil.
- Immediately reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes on a low heat while whisking continuously
- Make sure you cook this for 2 minutes – the cooking process activates the agar agar so it will set the mixture
- Then add the agar agar mixture to the golden latte mixture in the blender and blend until smooth and combined
- Immediately pour over the base in the tart tin and place in the fridge
- In food processor blend until mixture comes together as a sticky crumb
- When the golden latte filling has set, add the crumb so that it is evenly distributed
- Lightly press the crumb with your hands so it comes together as a topping
- Leave in fridge overnight before slicing
Vegan, dairy-free, vegetarian.
The Golden Latte mix contains turmeric, cinnamon, ginger and black pepper, so it provides so many nutritional benefits. It is also an ancient blend that was traditionally used in Aryuvedic medicine up to 4000 years ago.
Ayurvedic medicine is one of the world’s oldest holistic healing systems and is based on the belief that health and wellness depend on a delicate balance between the mind, body and spirit.
Courtesy of Lara Flanagan.
Lara is the author of My Notes from New England, a blog that takes a humorous look at the adventures of a single mum with two young twins who enjoys cooking, eating well, living in the country and travelling the world looking to inspire and be inspired.