Saludu Nebbe is a West African salad made with black-eyed peas and it tastes delicious. The blend of flavours is light and refreshing. Since the beans need to soak, it is recommended you plan ahead when preparing this salad. Enjoy!
20 minPrep Time
2 hrCook Time
2 hr, 20 Total Time
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 2½ limes, juiced)
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup olive oil or canola oil
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas (follow package ingredients you need to soak the beans overnight for best texture and then cook them so you need to plan ahead)
- 5 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 serrano peppers or 1 habanero or Scotch bonnet chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together the lime juice and parsley.
- Continue mixing as you slowly drizzle in the olive oil to make a smooth dressing.
- Add the black-eyed peas, spring onions, bell pepper, tomato, cucumber, and minced pepper to the bowl.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper and use a big spoon to toss the salad.
- Cover and set aside at room temperature for at least 1 hour, or refrigerate up to overnight.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.