A great winter broth that is easy to prepare and will warm up the entire family on a cold winters night. Can be kept in the freezer or prepared fresh.
15 minPrep Time
8 hr, 5 Cook Time
8 hr, 20 Total Time
- 3 lamb shanks
- Half a cup or 100 g of pearl barley, washed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1 small sweet, parsnip or turn it, chopped
- 6 cups or 1 1/2 litres of vegetable stock
- Sea salt or black pepper to taste
- Fresh flat leaf parsley finely chop as a garnish
- In the morning, place the shanks in a slow cooker along with the barley, vegetables and stock.
- Cover and cook for 8 to 10 hours on low or 45 hours on high.
- Toward mealtime remove the shanks from the slow cooker and pull away the meat from the bones.
- Roughly dice the meat, removing any fat or gristle.
- Skim any fat for the top of the soup, return the meat to the slow cooker and season to taste.